Disclaimer

*Results may vary. The information in this site is NOT to be construed as medical advice. Cirrhosis of the liver is a serious condition and if you have it, you should see a doctor. I am not a doctor and am not able to dispense medical advice. My husband saw a doctor (many of them) and they were able to do things for him that I could not. However, they were unable to recommend alternative treatments, and in MY OPINION they were VERY beneficial to my husband, so I am providing some of that information here. My husband and I tried all of these alternative therapies at our own risk, and if you try them you will be doing the same. At your own risk. No promises are made in this blog. I am not saying there is a cure for cirrhosis or any other condition. However, I believe most people can get well, like my husband did. My husband is alive, happy, productive, functional and has his energy back. He no longer worries about having to go on disability or getting a $577,000 liver transplant. Cirrhosis is a serious condition. He is currently in the fibrosis stage (Stage 2 liver disease), which is still serious. I cannot guarantee you will have the same results. I just want you to know about what worked well for my husband. I hope you will share what you learned with others, and share your story with us as well. This blog was made for YOU! Thanks for visiting!

Friday, July 29, 2016

The Bright Side of Cirrhosis / Healing Momentum

Recently, my mother in law fell and fractured her hip, and broke her arm. She fell while walking to a play with her friends, and instead of seeing the play, she saw the inside of an ambulance.

She was in a hospital for a week, barely able to move, then transferred to an assisted nursing care facility, still unable to move. Me and my husband saw her last weekend, and she was in a lot of pain. I brought our professional PEMF machine, and my father in law made a point to warn me not to do anything that would require her to move, because it would hurt for her to even roll over to get onto the mat. I assured him it was fine because I could use the B-pad on her instead and she could remain completely still.

I had only seen her two times, because I was so busy. She has 4 kids, who live in different parts of the state, so I figured they were coming to see her pretty regularly, and although I always MEANT to go see her (she was about an hours' drive away), somehow it just never happened, and I would end up working at home all day, and then next thing you know it's rush hour traffic time and too late to go see her. I never once saw her while she was in the hospital (before she was transferred), and was feeling a little guilty about that.

Then she was moved to a nursing care facility, I had only seen her twice, there. Once on my own last week, and then on Saturday with my husband (it was her anniversary). Both times, I brought the Pro PEMF machine and the water. But she was not getting CONSISTENT treatment.

I realized, I was on the verge of making the same mistake I had made with that guy Jeff who was in the hospital with a MELD score of 28.  With Jeff, I went to the hospital very inconsistently, and even though his numbers improved every time I went, they ended up going back down on days I couldn't go. Because he never got CONSISTENT help, His body just didn't get any "healing momentum," (like a car that never gets pushed long enough to start running on it's own) and he just never got "over the hump."

Jeff ended up getting a transplant. Now that he has a transplant, he is no longer a candidate for PEMF, because it will interfere with the anti-rejection drugs he has to take, probably forever.

There are so many times I've looked back and regretted not going to see that guy at the hospital for FOUR DAYS STRAIGHT, instead of four days spread out over the course of about 2 weeks. I am SO sure it would have made a big difference in him, but... you just have to learn from your mistakes, and I am happy that at least he survived the transplant.

I am a big believer in the idea that good things come from bad things, and that we need to look for the good in every bad situation.  And if there is anything good to come out of that situation, it's the fact that I learned a good lesson from that experience with Jeff: Consistency can be critical, when it comes to healing. 

On Sunday, I announced to my husband that I was planning to go and see his Mom every day, with our Pro PEMF machine and fresh Detox water, for a straight week. I am extremely blessed to have a flexible schedule - the most flexible schedule of anyone in my husband's immediate family - so I love being able to help out with stuff like this (I've just been praying my old car doesn't break down, cause it's 2  hours of driving every day, and for my car, that is a lot).

I told my husband that I'm going to get his Mom walking again if it kills me. She is getting physical therapy every other day, and I am guessing she would be able to walk again on her own, eventually, with or without my help, but I want it to happen sooner than later.

I have a friend who has worked for many years as a full time nursing care assistant, helping elderly people. And she once told me that once a person breaks a hip, she often sees people go right downhill, and they don't live long after that (I know this is not the case for everyone but it seemed to be very common with the people she had been observing).

It was very clear that my mother in law was extremely depressed in the hospital. I'd walk into the room and she'd have her head down and she just looked so despondent, like she was bummed out that she was all alone, unable to walk or even go to the bathroom herself or do normal things for herself. Sometimes the nurses wouldn't even come when she'd ring the bell.

It didn't help that her roommate has dementia, talks very loudly, and often wakes up screaming in the middle of the night, and also in the middle of the day. Her roommate is a very nice lady, but... I think my mother in law must have been feeling like she was just committed to a funny farm.

Anyway, I have been going to visit her every day this week, determined to give her fresh water and 2 Pro PEMF sessions per day - one as soon as I get to the facility (usually somewhere between 10am and noon), and the second one later in the evening, just before I leave (usually around 10pm). Because it's hard for her to sleep (and it's depressing being in there), I am determined to get her out of that joint ASAP. By the way, it's not a bad joint - it's actually a beautiful nursing care facility and most of the people are nice, but it's just plain depressing for most people to be around people who are really sick all the time... I know it is for my mother in law!

Anyway, by Wednesday, she was able to stand up on her own.... which I considered pretty amazing, given the fact that she could barely even move on Saturday.  She's started going to the bathroom on her own too. For the first couple of days I went to see her this week (Monday and Tuesday), I would leave the room as soon as she announced she had to the bathroom, because I knew the nurse would have to come in and she'd have to go on a portable toilet, right there in the room.... how embarrassing! That has to suck... who wants to pee and poo in front of another person, standing right there, waiting for you to finish?

But now my mother in law can get to the bathroom, in her wheelchair, and use the toilet on her own without the assistance of another person.

At one point I saw her scooting across the room so fast in her wheelchair, just pushing her feet on the floor, I was taken aback! It was like she was doing so cheerfully, as if she was trying to see how fast she could zip across the room.

The thing about giving people the PEMF and the water, is, you can never take credit for helping a person get better.  First of all, there is usually no way to prove, 100 percent for sure, that what you're doing has anything to do with another person's healing. You may strongly suspect it, but you can't prove it.

When people start getting better, I would never act like, "See? The PEMF and water must have really helped you!" You need to just be happy they are getting better, no matter what the cause, and if they want to acknowledge your help, great, but if not, just be happy they've improved.

People really need to feel like THEY are the ones who are 100% responsible for their own healing. I certainly would not appreciate someone making like, "Oh, thank God I'm helping you," if I was in a healing crisis. It would just make me resent them.... a LOT. So I just keep my mouth shut and constantly say, "You're doing so great, good for you!"

People do end up telling me thank you, quite a lot, but as a rule, I do not expect a thank you, and it's best not expect to get any "credit" for a role in helping a person heal.  What makes them realize how helpful you were, is when you STOP showing up, and things suddenly go downhill! Sometimes they don't quite see your role at first because they are often still sick... even if they've made a lot of progress, when they are still sick, they have a hard time seeing that something really helped them. The body can only heal so fast.

The PEMF and the water just seems to give people the push they need, to get their own immune systems and healing mechanisms functioning again. When people in a health crisis start to do the PEMF and the water, they may actually feel worse, first, but then after a while they will start to feel a lot better, because they've gone through the detoxification process.

Anyway... I have gotten off track from a point I wanted to make in this post...

The fact that my husband went through such a HORRIBLE experience, actually took us to a better place, overall. Because, if he had never gotten sick, I would not know ANYTHING about PEMF, or the water! (It took me sooooooo many hours of research to even stumble upon it!)  And now that we know about these technologies, and have them in our home, we are able to share it with his aging parents!

I recently went to my 30 year high school reunion and some guy actually came up to me and commented that I was one of a small group of women in our class who still looked good (funny thing to hear cause I was an awkward geek and full of acne when I was IN high school).  But I really think that the water and the PEMF and supplements I learned about, when my hubby was sick, have really helped me a lot.  It's true, I also do not eat meat, so that helps too, but, I feel like I have an advantage because I know about these advanced technologies and have constant access to them now.

There is a woman who was on the fence about whether to get a Professional PEMF machine for her husband, or not. I get the impression she is worried he is going to die, and then she will have wasted her money. I totally get that thinking. But I look at it like, you should get that machine for YOURSELF!  It can be really exhausting to go back and forth to the hospital, and be worrying all day that your spouse is going to die. But the water gives me more energy, and the PEMF helps my muscles to relax!

We spouses do a LOT to take care of a person with cirrhosis, when things get really bad. So I kind of look at it like, well, I am really getting this machine half for ME, and half for HIM! These machines are like, the reward I got to have, after all that we've been through. I am not someone who needs fancy clothes or jewelry or vacations or a fancy house. What I want is GOOD HEALTH. I want to keep my body, and my husband's body, and my whole family's bodies, functioning optimally, as long as possible! I know that neither of us is going to live forever, no matter what we do, but if I can find a way to be as healthy as possible, for as long as possible, and stay out of a nursing care facility... I'm all for it.

That was the silver lining in the dark cloud that hung over us, when my husband got stage 4 cirrhosis. Yes, it was a nightmare. But I feel so fortunate to have learned about things that work, that have helped me too, that we can share with others : ). That is just priceless.

UPDATE 10/4/16: My mother in law is doing GREAT, her arm is healed enough to remove her cast, and she ZIPS around the house in her wheelchair!!! It was hard to see if the PEMF was really working, when I was going there every day (the results are gradual), but once she got to the point where she was able to go to the bathroom on her own during the night, and didn't need daily help from me or my sister in law / brothers-in-law, I was able to take a break for a few weeks. When I went back after about 3 weeks of not seeing her, it was CLEAR that she had made a big improvement... she seemed to have even more energy than before she broke her arm! I am so happy. And even happier that they just bought their own Pro PEMF machine, so we can have ours back. And my brother and sister in law even bought one, too (they got to see how well it worked when they'd have my mom in law to their house sometimes).

By the way, I was also kind of anal retentive about making sure she and my father in law had salad EVERY DAY while I was there... it made an obvious difference in her blood pressure readings, and I felt good knowing that it helps a person stay regular (very important for elderly people). I learned that if you just make a salad really appetizing looking, the person WILL eat it every day, even if you put a LOT of it in front of them, using varied ingredients that included butter lettuce / romaine lettuce / spinach, tomatoes, apples (diced), walnuts, celery, mushrooms, garbanzo beans, feta cheese, and half an avocado (for each of my in laws), and dressing they really like (in this case it was Paul Newman's Oil and Vinegar dressing).  An avocado and really good dressing can make a salad SO easy to eat! : )   Also the key to getting a person to eat salad daily (even after you're gone) is to store it in containers that make the salad easy to eat even after you leave. I learned this when doing that for my Grandpa / Dad back in 2000/2001, when my grandpa was sick. Most people (myself included) will never get around to making salad on their own, but if it's easy to eat... they'll gladly eat it : ). I store the lettuce (mixed with celery and apples) separately in containers that fit enough for both of them, and the rest of the stuff in containers like these (with the individual lids off, so it is less work for them to open a lot of lids). It's all about making things EASY! : )








No comments:

Post a Comment