Disclaimer

*Results may vary. The information in this site is NOT to be construed as medical advice. Cirrhosis of the liver is a serious condition and if you have it, you should see a doctor. I am not a doctor and am not able to dispense medical advice. My husband saw a doctor (many of them) and they were able to do things for him that I could not. However, they were unable to recommend alternative treatments, and in MY OPINION they were VERY beneficial to my husband, so I am providing some of that information here. My husband and I tried all of these alternative therapies at our own risk, and if you try them you will be doing the same. At your own risk. No promises are made in this blog. I am not saying there is a cure for cirrhosis or any other condition. However, I believe most people can get well, like my husband did. My husband is alive, happy, productive, functional and has his energy back. He no longer worries about having to go on disability or getting a $577,000 liver transplant. Cirrhosis is a serious condition. He is currently in the fibrosis stage (Stage 2 liver disease), which is still serious. I cannot guarantee you will have the same results. I just want you to know about what worked well for my husband. I hope you will share what you learned with others, and share your story with us as well. This blog was made for YOU! Thanks for visiting!

Friday, July 12, 2019

Two books / audiobooks I highly recommend

Over the last few months, I've been listening to 2 really good audiobooks (shown below), about the liver / gastrointestinal system, while I do housework. I will admit, they're long, and I sometimes have to rewind or hit pause, to understand everything they're saying. Sometimes, this medical/educational stuff isn't as much fun to listen to, while doing housework, as, say... Madonna's Immaculate Collection!

But once in a while, I get a really good tidbit that makes me feel like, it was worth it to tune in. And I can't tell you how many times I've thought, while listening to these books: "Why weren't ALL OF US taught this stuff in school????" We'd all be so much healthier!

We are given SO LITTLE information about how to take care of our own bodies, especially our liver and the associated organs like the pancreas, gallbladder, etc.. The whole gastrointestinal system is like a giant mystery, to many of us... until something goes drastically wrong, and by that time, it can be too late (or extremely costly) to fix the problems.  

Sometimes it feels like we should be given an Operating Manual for the human body. Sadly, it also sometimes feels like, even if we had one, doctors would be perfectly happy to rip it up and keep us in the dark. It's like, the less we know about how our bodies truly operate, the more money there is to be made. The less we know, we more we have to spend on trying to fix our medical issues that have been gotten way out of hand. 

I'm sorry but that just seems wrong, to me. The best doctors in the world, are the ones who are happy if you DON'T have to see them. But sadly, people with cirrhosis have to keep seeing doctors over and over again!

Anyway, I had to share these books with you, because they're just about the closest thing I've read to having an "operating manual" for your gastrointestinal system. I have really been enjoying these audiobooks (via my Audible.com subscription), and what the author says in Medical Medium backed up my theory that the water I keep talking about really was a huge factor in helping my husband with his liver. 

In addition, what Dr. Shinya (inventor of the polypectomy) says in The Enzyme factor is pretty interesting. He also explains how dairy products can be VERY damaging for human health. Please check out these books if you get a chance. They may even be available at your local library.



I got this audiobook largely because the reviews were so impressive. There are nearly 1600 reviews, and the book currently has a 5 star average.

Medical Medium Liver Rescue: Answers to Eczema, Psoriasis, Diabetes, Strep, Acne, Gout, Bloating, Gallstones, Adrenal Stress, Fatigue, Fatty Liver, Weight Issues, SIBO & Autoimmune Disease


The Enzyme Factor also has very good reviews.

The Enzyme Factor


I cannot recommend this book enough! Dr. Shinya is a renowned gastoenterologist who invented the Polypectomy (the technique of removing polyps from the colon, using a snare). His wife, and his son, all suffered with health problems while consuming dairy products. His wife developed so many health issues, when she came to the US and adopted a standard American diet, that she actually passed away, which fueled Dr. Shinya's interest in human health, and how to turn things around before it became too late.

People with cirrhosis can struggle to process dairy products while their gastrointestinal systems are impaired. One of my husband's doctors that I like (an integrative medical practitioner) told us that dairy has a tendency to clog the liver, and if has any kind of impairment and is trying to heal, the dairy will make it harder to heal (because it's using energy to try to unclog itself, when really that energy should be used for healing itself).


About 10 years ago, I checked out this audiobook at the library, and it had some interesting tidbits about the human body, that I never knew (like the fact that urine is sterile, whereas, spit is FULL of bacteria, so therefore, spit is way more gross). I listened to this years before my husband was diagnosed with cirrhosis, so it would probably be even more interesting to listen to, now. 




YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger










https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060765321/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0060765321&linkCode=as2&tag=heallivecir0b-20&linkId=fef49f1282b1ef862e2d83b674b4a22f
YOU: The Owner's Manual: An Insider's Guide to the Body That Will Make You Healthier and Younger










And lastly, as long as I'm posting books about interesting medical books... this is the book that originally opened my eyes to the idea that alternative medicine could actually have a lot of real benefits to it. Someone took me to hear Dr. Weil speak at a conference, and it really changed my life - I used to be one of those people who truly believed that DRUGS were THE way to get better, and that alternate routes were a waste of time. No joke, there really was a time that I really used to think that! I don't necessarily agree with every single thing Dr. Weil says, but overall, I think his book is definitely worth checking out.

Spontaneous Healing : How to Discover and Embrace Your Body's Natural Ability to Maintain and Heal Itself 

For anyone who cares to read or listen to this. I can almost guarantee you could find a copy at your local library, of the book and/or the audiobook.

Enjoy!

Ellie 





No comments:

Post a Comment